Y Chromosome Testing
- Just €299 for confidential next day results or upgrade to same day results for an extra €50
- Ireland’s fastest Y chromosome test
- Over 15 years’ experience of Y chromosome testing
- Award-winning, accredited laboratory
- Trusted by the media to provide DNA testing for TV shows
- Kit sent out in discreet, plain packaging, for full confidentiality
Four easy steps for your Y Chromosome Test
Buy your collection kit
Collect your cheek cell DNA samples
Post back to our laboratory
Receive your results by email
How we do our DNA testing
We use state-of-the-art DNA technology to ensure the reliability and accuracy of our genetic testing.
Our Y chromosome test kit includes mouth swabs to be rubbed gently and painlessly on the inside of the cheek. No blood is required.
About the Y chromosome test
All male children inherit their Y chromosome from their father. When these children become fathers, they will in turn pass the Y chromosome inherited from their father to their children. A Y chromosome test (Y-STR test) is therefore used in cases where alleged male relatives wish to confirm they share a common paternal line.
Males coming from the same paternal line will always share the same Y chromosome. The low mutation rate of the Y chromosome also makes this test more reliable.
As the Y chromosome is only found in males, females cannot directly carry out a Y chromosome test. However, if needed, they could ask a male, paternal biological relative to take the test on their behalf.
Trusted by the media to provide DNA testing for TV shows
When would a Y chromosome test be needed?
A Y chromosome test compares the Y chromosome profiles of the tested males to help confirm whether they share a common paternal lineage.
If the males have different Y chromosome profiles they do not share the same paternal line. A full match confirms a shared paternal line.
The Y chromosome test can also be used by male cousins who want to see if their fathers were brothers or to check if they share a common ancestor.
For further advice on whether this test is right for you, call our Customer Services team on 01 402 9466 or email email@example.com.
Please note: this Y chromosome test if for peace of mind only, and cannot be used for legal matters or in court. If you require a Y chromosome test for legal reasons, such as for immigration cases where proof of a biological relationship is needed, you will need a legal DNA test.
What’s in our Y chromosome test kit?
The testing kit contains enough collection swabs to test two males.
Enclosed in our Y chromosome test kit:
- Peace of Mind DNA test request/consent form
- Full instructions on how to take the Y chromosome test and return the samples
- A self-addressed envelope to send the DNA test samples back to us
- Two DNA sample collection swab packages containing two swabs in each
- DNA test sample envelopes for both individuals
Swabs to test extra males can be added to the package as needed (additional charges apply).
Your test kit will be sent directly to your preferred address in discreet, plain packaging, for full confidentiality.